About the Role
Here are what three current SVS Employment Specialists (ES) have to say about their roles:
“As an Employment Specialist we interact with the local community to develop work opportunities for our clients in various industries. Here at SVS we thrive in community integration for our clients with intellectual and development disabilities in all California. This allows our clients to gain work experience and gain confidence in their abilities.” -Laura N.
ES Teresa L. adds “We work with candidates one on one to develop professional skills they can carry with them beyond our program and succeed in their aspired roles. An ES builds relationships with employers in the community to successfully integrate our candidates in a variety of roles.”
Brenda B. says a typical day for an ES looks like:
- Organization -Write down your list of people/businesses to call or contact, including people you have given your pitch to but need to circle back with.
- Look through Indeed.com, Glassdoor, LinkedIn, Simply Hired etc. for new job leads that are appropriate for our clients.
- Try to “Cold Call” on 10 businesses per week.
- Make appointments with employers for a brief first meeting/send them PR materials prior to visiting through email.
- Talk to people, ask questions, any tidbit of information can take you to your next lead.
- Record all your work and attempts at trying to meet new businesses so that it is at your fingertips.
- Get out and meet people!
SVS is an Equal Opportunity Employer